Thanks for tuning into the webcast! I’ll update this page a bit more by the end of the week but this should be a good start!
Blog Posts Here That Relate
- Tips for SQL Server DBAs Starting Out – This post was the origin of the presentation topic. I talk about the itties of database administration and a potential order of priority.
- Why I think you focus too much on your backups – As discussed in the presentation, the focus should be on restores. May seem like semantics, but the focus on restore means you are thinking of more questions.
- Paranoid Control Freak? You Might Make a Good DBA – Kidding, but some aspects of these attitudes can help a DBA out.
- Find All SQL Server Instances On Your Network – I talk about using the Microsoft Assessment and Planning toolkit to locate all of your SQL Server instances. This post describes my discovery and use of this great (and free) tool. – It helps to know your environments that should be backed up!
- Can You Restore It?! – My contribution to the SQL University DBA Week – Talks about a lot of the same things we talked about in the presentation.
- DBA Survivor: Become a Rock Start DBA – A book by Tom LaRock for folks starting out as DBAs
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals – Discusses logging and recovery in detail
Other Resources Mentioned In Presentation