Alright so the other day I was congratulating SQL Server Extraordinare Chuck Boyce on twitter. He has lost some weight following a low carb diet and he is doing great with it. In the process I joked about how I fell off the wagon for “Fit February” and thought aloud of starting to have an ActiveAugust.
Well one thing led to another and Jorge Segarra sent me a tweet saying, “I’m in!” then the tweets started coming in with the #ActiveAugust tag and I figured I should blog something with the goals and the plan.
If you are interested in joining, blog about, tweet about it and leave comments indicating so.
The Plan–> I will talk about my plan, it doesn’t have to dictate your plan. The only requirements for #activeagust? Get more active than you were in July. My hope is for us all to start something that we continue into September, October and then poof! We have a habit. I will blog occasional about my results but part of the #activeaugust plan for me is going to include:
- Eating “Cleaner” –> I will try to get some links in a follow up post though it may be a week before I get that.. Basically eating more raw foods, eating less of those foods, drinking more water, maybe some more milk. Getting away from the sugars and processed foods.
- Doing Something Every Day –> I sit on my butt at work all day, I come home and play with the kids on most days but then I sit on my butt and work at night when the house is sleeping. For my health (physical and emotional), I am going to commit to doing at least 30 minutes of activity on each day. It could be a walk at lunch, it could be getting back to my swimming early mornings, getting into some weight training (building more lean muscle means I am burning more calories when sitting on my butt) or a combination.
- Blog and tweet about it –> I am going to tweet every time I hit the the minimum 30 minutes of activity, if I do more, maybe I’ll tweet that also. If I drag you along with me I am going to be more likely to do it. Why don’t you drag us along with you and stick to it.
- Weigh In –> This isn’t only about weight but I will admit the starting weight, throw it on the blog/twitter and then do so either weekly or at least at the end. I care more about how I feel and you should also.
My Personal Goals –> I will not dictate your goals but I hope they can be along the same lines.
- Lose Some of my weight –> I need to lose 30-40lbs, a lot of that is the unhealthy fat around my lower abdomen… Do you have that? That’s the weight that is a risk factor of many diseases and problems later in life.
- Feel Better/Have More Energy –> I want to have more energy when I wake up, I want to be more alive when Friday kicks around and it’s time to get yard work done and have fun with my family.
- Stick with it –> I want to make changes that are not drastic but livable. Not looking to diet because I like a variety, just reducing and eating healthier to get to more basic foods. Not looking for a workout program that I get bored with or becomes a pain to stick with. Just want to stay conditioned.
If #ActiveAugust goes well maybe we can have some check ins and #stickwithitseptember =)
Want to Join? Weights and Commitment by 8/1 with tweets/blogs starting on 8/1 and continuing for the month. I’ll tweet my failures too.